This edition has 476 words which will take you about 3 minutes to read.
“The character of a building like that of a man, is not its outward appearance but rather what’s inside.” – Merrell Vories Hitotsuyanagi
Data Exchange podcast
- Security and privacy for the disoriented In this episode I speak with Dan Geer, Senior Fellow at In-Q-tel and Andrew Burt, co-founder and Managing Partner of BNH.ai and Chief Legal Officer at Immuta. Dan is one the leading experts in cybersecurity and risk management, and he has written many influential essays on security, privacy, and risk. BNH is a new law firm focused on AI compliance and related topics.
- Responsible AI meets Reality Prior to starting Parity, Rumman Chowdury was Global Lead for Responsible AI at Accenture Applied Intelligence. She’s co-author of an interesting paper entitled “Where Responsible AI Meets Reality”, an ethnographic study comprised of 26 semi-structured interviews with people from nineteen organizations on four continents.
Machine Learning tools and infrastructure
- How DoorDash built its gigascale (machine learning) feature store
- Production monitoring architectures for machine learning at scale How to use real-time metrics, outlier detectors, drift detectors, metrics servers and explainers.
- Comparing time-series databases Two open source vendors compare themselves with their competitors: Timescale compares itself to Amazon Timestream, and Crate compares itself against TimescaleDB, InfluxDB, and others.
- Corporate Disclosure in the Age of AI We usually think of surveillance technologies in the context of computer vision (images, video). But as this recent paper reminds us, improvements in natural language and speech technologies means we will also need to be more careful in our choice of words and phrases.
- Einblick: Introducing Visual Data Computing I wrote a post about a new startup based on the Northstar project out of MIT/Brown. Einblick opens up interactive analytics and machine learning to non-technical users.
Announcing Methaphor Data The DataHub team from Linkedin just raised a seed round to help bring metadata management tools to companies! DataHub is the metadata backbone that has become instrumental to many of Linkedin’s data services.
- Snowflake invests in DataRobot
Work and Hiring
- The Best (& Worst) Cities for Expats in 2020
- Future of Jobs, 2020 Survey from the World Economic Forum
- One simple chart: demand for reinforcement learning holds steady
- The Determined AI Writers’ Program Earn $500 by writing a blog post on a practical topic in machine learning.
- Towards readable DL code: PyTorch best practices and style guide and the PyTorch Lightning style guide.
- China’s Digital Silk Road I recommend this episode from a fantastic podcast serial on China’s BRI. The episode on India and the BRI should also be of interest to techies.
- Why Is Apple’s M1 Chip So Fast?
If you enjoyed this newsletter please support our work by encouraging your friends and colleagues to subscribe: