A February/2020 survey from Stack Overflow clustered together tools into groups that tend to be used by the same developers. Here are some observations from the perspective of a data and machine learning enthusiast:
- Python is the language for machine learning ⇢ Aside from Python web frameworks (Flask, Django), Python is in a cluster that includes machine learning and data science tools.
- Scala is in a cluster with distributed computing frameworks, Spark and Hadoop.
- SQL is the node that connects a cluster of web development tools to a cluster of Microsoft technologies.
- MySQL and MariaDB are in a cluster comprised of web development tools, PostgresSQL is in the IT Infrastructure cluster.
- SQLite is in a cluster comprised of tools for mobile application development.
As far as compensation goes, Python finished somewhere in the middle of the pack. Developers who use other programming languages (Scala, Go, Objective-C) had higher median salaries in the US and Globally.
Subscribe to our Newsletter:
We also publish a popular newsletter where we share highlights from recent episodes, trends in AI / machine learning / data, and a collection of recommendations.